Sunday, February 9, 2003

Prologue 2

Man, with pipes like those, she must smoke a couple of packs a day.
Ariadne greeted her and offered her a seat and some coffee. She accepted the first and declined the second. She sat on our vinyl cushioned guest's chair and crossed those long legs.
"Tell us the story, ma'am, starting with your name please." Ariadne was business-like as ever.
"My name is Josephine Williams. I came back from a business trip a few days ago and found that my boyfriend had disappeared. I want you to find him."
"Who is he?" I asked, wanting a little of her attention.
She turned towards me, blue eyes glimmering a little with unshed tears. They stayed unshed. Tears might mess up that extravagant paint job. She was good.
"Roy Webber. He's a bartender at a club downtown. The last time he showed up for work was Wednesday night. None of his friends have heard from him either."
Ariadne pulled out her notebook and started taking things down. She got the name of the club, the names, phone numbers and addresses of some of Roy's friends as well as Roy's own address. She also asked for Josephine's information, and after a couple moment's pause, she was given a phone number and a home address.
"Where do you work, Ms. Williams?"
"I hardly think that's relevant." Ms. Williams' look was cool as an October night.
"True." Ariadne seemed to give up easily. "I just thought it might be more convenient for us to reach you during the day at your place of business."
"That phone number is for a cell phone. You'll reach me."
Ariadne seemed to have the scene well in hand. I sat back and let her do her stuff. This was her forte, collecting the necessary data to get a good running start.
After a few more questions, Ariadne closed the notebook and looked at me.
"Got anything to add, Mike?"
"Yeah," I said, "Why didn't you go to the police with this?"
Ms. Williams flushed attractively and looked down at the patent leather purse clutched in her lap.
"I... The police and Roy haven't always seen eye to eye. I... I didn't trust them to look very hard for him."
It was a lie. She wouldn't look at me as she spoke. Well, the truth should become apparent once we started investigating.
I nodded to Ariadne. She started the wrap up.
"Well, Ms. Williams, we'll do what we can. If we have any news or any further questions, we'll give you a call. Our daily fee will include today, since we'll probably start investigation tonight. You understand that we'll keep track of any expenses."
Ms. Williams nodded enthusiastically as she stood.
"One other thing," Ariadne put a hand on Ms. Williams' arm, "I couldn't help noticing your fabulous nails. I was thinking of treating myself to a manicure. Where did you get yours done?"
Ms. Williams smiled widely and said, "Why thank you! Chic Chick. They're absolutely the best."
Ariadne thanked her and opened the door to usher our latest client out.
As the flounced edge of her skirt disappeared behind the door and it closed with a click, Ariadne turned to me and smiled.
"What did you think?"
I shrugged. "Well, she was pretty bold in her clothes and makeup, and she definitely had something to hide. She was an interesting puzzle."
Ariadne smiled again, almost an impish grin. "He."
"What?" I asked, foreboding rushing in.
"He was an interesting puzzle."
I admit I was stunned to silence.
"The legs were a dead giveaway."

1 comment: